Category Archives: Julius Malema
Raymond Suttner: South African parliament now and in the future (Heinrich Boll foundation)
Raymond Suttner audio interview with Gareth Cliff 12 March 2015
Raymond Suttner: Parliamentary upheavals: heightened political awareness? (Polity video)
Press release on Raymond Suttner’s Recovering Democracy in SA (Jacana)
Confirmed book launches for Recovering Democracy in SA (21 February)
Update for launches of Recovering Democracy in South Africa (Jacana Media). Update 21 February 2015
Book availability. The book ought to be in the book stores late in the first week of March 2015 and e books will be available at a date to be announced.
The following launches have been confirmed thus far:
1.18 March 2015 Troyeville Hotel. Dinner starting 6 pm. In conversation with Anthony Altbeker. Flyer will be posted soon and bookings can be made with the hotel.
2. 19 March 2015, 6 p.m.Wits History Workshop/Wits Institute for Social and Econoic Research (WISER), launch at WISER Discussants: Dr Arianna Lissoni, Wits History Workshop and Dr Mcebisi Ndletyana, Mapungubwe Institute for Strategic Refection (MISTRA). Flyer to be posted soon. Those who are not on mailing list and wish to be invited should please inbox me
3. 26 March 2015. Rhodes University launch , Humanities seminar room, 5.30 pm. Flyer to be posted.
4. 1 APRIL 2015, launch/ discussion at Poppy’s, 6-7th Street Melville starting 6 p.m, ending 7.15 pm. This will be followed by jazz band. Flyer to be posted.
5. Date in early April to be confirmed. 10 a.m. Launch & discussion at UCT Graduate School of Business. Part of their Roundtable series. Chair Professor Mills Soko. Discussant to be confirmed. Any person based at UCT wishing to be invited please inbox me.
6. The will be a public launch in Cape Town on the evening of UCT launch, details to be announced.
7. 15 April 2015. Pietermaritzburg Agency for Community Social Action (PACSA) hosts launch in Pietermaritzburg in late afternoon. Flyer to be posted
8. 23 April 2015. Steve Biko Foundation, Ginsburg, Eastern Cape, time to be confirmed. Flyer to be posted. Anyone wishing to attend who is not on SBF mailing list please inbox me. Flyer to be posted.
Further locations for launches are under discussion and will be posted as they are confirmed.
Raymond Suttner: Laughing at the dehumanised treatment of the EFF
When Julius Malema spoke in parliament on Tuesday referring to the attack on the EFF by security police Continue reading
Raymond Suttner The attack on parliament -where to from here (Polity video)
Raymond Suttner: EFF contribution to SA politics (Polity video)
Raymond Suttner: Parliament’s attempted lock-down threatens everyone’s freedom (Polity)
Examining @pierredevos’ Preliminary legal issues relating to ejection of EFF
Pierre De Vos sets out some of the legal issues relating to parliament and the ejection of the EFF Continue reading
Raymond Suttner: Freedom Charter is not a check list (Polity video)
Raymond Suttner: Year of crisis. What lies ahead? (Polity video)
Raymond Suttner: Militarisation and depoliticisation in SA today (Polity)
Raymond Suttner: Turbulence in SA political scene (Polity video)
Raymond Suttner: On abuses in intelligence services, NPA and police (Polity video)
Raymond Suttner, Is there a democratic crisis? (Polity video)
Richard Pithouse, South Africa:After the end of our innocence
I have one problem with this article, the statement: ‘Moreover, we are increasingly confronting a state that acts in routine disregard of the law and, at times, the courts. On their own the courts guarantee nothing.’ Certainly on their own courts guarantee nothing, but defending rights where courts can, is surely one of our most important tasks?